Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Ice-Cream Recipe
You don’t have to say goodbye to ice-cream even though you are allergic to milk or have lactose intolerance. You can easily make your own dairy-free ice-cream at home using dairy-free milk, in this recipe, the pure coconut milk. Making it yourself is fun and you have better control over the sweetness of the ice-cream. Since this ice-cream is made using an egg custard, it is much richer and taste like the real ice cream you’re used to. You need an ice-cream maker for best result.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tbsps powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 1/2 tsps cornstarch
- 13.5 fl.oz (400 ml) thick coconut milk
- 6.75 fl.oz (200 ml) water
- 5 tbsps fine granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whisk egg yolks and powdered sugar in a bowl until fluffy, then add in cornstarch and mix well.
- Combine coconut milk, water, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Warm the coconut milk mixture over MEDIUM-LOW heat to about 175°F/80°C. (DON'T boil).
- Gradually add in half of the warm coconut milk mixture to the beaten egg yolks, keep stirring while adding.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture with the remaining coconut milk mixture, then stir the mixture over MEDIUM-LOW heat.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, reduce heat to LOW and continue stirring until you have a slightly thick custard (which can coat the back of a spoon).
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, transfer the custard to a container and chill for a few hours or freeze for 2 hours.
- Churn in an ice-cream maker for about 30 minutes until you have a smooth ice-cream.
- Serve immediately as a soft serve ice-cream. You may also freeze for 2-3 hours for a firmer consistency. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.