This soup is easy and quick to make, yet delicious and fulfilling, but is a chicken “tortilla” soup without the tortilla!
Chicken Tortilla Soup (for South Beach Phase 3) | Dietplan-101
Yields: 3 servings
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (14 oz/400 g) chopped tomatoes
- 4.4 oz (125 g) whole kernel sweet corn
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- salt (to taste)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar (divided)
- Preheat olive oil in a stock pot.
- Add in garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Add in chicken meat, tomato, corn, chicken broth and taco mix.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add in coriander and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Off the heat and season to taste with salt.
- Serve hot in a soup plate and garnish each with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.