Chinese Hot and Sour Soup (for South Beach Phase 1) | Dietplan-101
Yields: 5 servings
- 5 cups unsalted fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 4 oz (113 g) cooked chicken breast strips
- 1/3 cup canned bamboo shoots (cut into strips)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup less sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 1/3 cup fresh snow pea pods
- 1 egg white (or whole egg) (lightly beaten)
- pepper (to taste)
- some chopped scallion (for garnishing)
- Combine chicken broth, mushroom and ginger in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken strips, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in bamboo shoots and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add in vinegar, soy sauce and hot sauce, bring to the boil again.
- Add in scallion and snow peas and cook for another minute.
- Off the heat, then stir in beaten egg slowly.
- Season to taste with pepper and garnish with extra chopped scallion.
- Serve hot.