Easy to prepare vegetable soup with cheddar cheese, this is a healthy alternative to canned tomato soup and South Beach Diet friendly.
Creamy Tomato Celery Cheddar Soup (for South Beach Diet Phase 2)| Dietplan-101
Yields: 6 servings
- 3 cups fat-free chicken stock
- 3 whole tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 stalks green onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp ground basil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz/170 g) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Combine 1 cup of chicken stock, tomatoes, celery and green onion in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the remaining chicken stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add in the processed vegetables and bring to the boil again, then simmer without cover for 20 minutes.
- Add in the seasoning ingredients and stir in the Half & Half.
- Continue to cook over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add in shredded cheese and stir until all cheese has melted.
- Serve hot.