Make your own fresh ricotta cheese at home is so easy with 3 simple ingredients: whole milk, plain yogurt and cider vinegar.
Homemade Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese (for Atkins Diet Phase 2) | Dietplan-101
Yields: about 2 cups (18.5 oz/525 g)
- 2 quarts (about 2 L) whole milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt (regular or low-fat)
- 3 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large microwave-safe glass bowl and mix well.
- Heat over medium heat (600 W) in the microwave oven until the temperature of the mixture reaches 180°F/85°C.
- At 175°F/80°C, when the milk starts to curdle, stir lightly using a ladle.
- Continue to heat up until 180°F/85°C, until the liquid becomes yellowish, you may give another light stir in between this.
- Remove from oven and strain through a colander lined with cheesecloth. Hold up the cloth and lightly squeeze out the whey.
- Serve it warm or use it in recipes with ricotta cheese.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days, if desired.