Gelato is the Italian words for ice cream. It is softer with more elastic texture compare to normal ice cream. Homemade Gelato recipe is simple with only few ingredients. You need an ice-cream maker for this recipe.
Low-Carb Low-Calorie Chocolate Gelato Recipe | Dietplan-101
Yields: 6 servings (Each serving: 6.6 g Net Carbs, 84 calories)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsps + 5 tbsps granulated sweetener (or to taste)
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-fat milk
- 3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whisk together egg yolks in a bowl, then add in 2 tbsps. sweetener and beat until fluffy.
- Warm the milk to about 175°F/80°C, then whisk in the remaining sweetener and cocoa powder.
- Gradually add in half of the warm milk mixture to the beaten egg yolks, keep whisking while adding.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the remaining milk mixture.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat, reduce heat to low when the mixture starts to thicken.
- Continue cooking until you have a slightly thick custard (thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and hold the shape of a line when a finger is drawn through it).
- Remove from heat and strain into a container and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, refrigerate for 6-8 hours or freeze for 2 hours.
- Churn in an ice-cream maker for about 30 minutes until you have a smooth ice-cream.
- Serve immediately as a soft serve ice-cream. You may also freeze for a few hours for a firmer consistency. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.