Meringue Crust Key Lime Pie (for South Beach Diet Phase 2)
Write a review
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup Splenda
- 1 pkt original unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (fresh or bottled)
- 4 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 (8-oz/226 g) Cool Whip (fat-free)
Preparing the crust
- Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peak forms .
- Gradually beat in the sugar substitute and continue beating until stiff peak forms.
- Spread 1-1/3 cups of meringue at the bottom and halfway up sides of an oil-coated 9" pie pan.
- Put the remaining meringue in a pastry bag, then pipe around the border.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
Preparing the filling
- Add gelatin to the water and mix well.
- Heat sugar substitute, salt and lime juice in a sauce pan over medium heat until hot.
- Gradually mix the hot lime juice to the beaten egg yolks.
- Cook the mixture over low heat until thick, keep on stirring while cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the gelatin mixture. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add in grated zest and fold in the Cool Whip, then pour it over the meringue crust.
- Keep refrigerated for a few hours until set.
Diet Plan 101 https://www.dietplan-101.com/