Homemade peanut butter is a healthier alternative to store-bought as it preservative-free. Making your own peanut butter at home is hassle-free and incredibly easy as there are no complicated instructions.
The only main ingredient is roasted peanut. Oil, salt and sweetener are optional. If using oil, there are plenty choices of healthier oil to choose from as compared to hydrogenated oil used in most commercial peanut butter.
Peanut butter is a healthy protein rich food. It contains lots of vitamin, mineral and fiber. 2 tbsp. of peanut butter provides 8 gram of protein. A peanut butter sandwich gives us nearly quarter recommended dietary intake (RDI) for protein.
Tips: Skip the sweetener if you prefer unsweetened peanut butter. You can make natural peanut butter by using only peanuts and salt. Just stir back the paste and peanut oil when they separate.
How to make homemade peanut butter | Dietplan-101
- 2 cups shelled and skinned raw peanuts (10.5 oz/300 g)
- 4 tbsps. olive oil (or other healthy oil)
- 2 sachet sweetener or 2 tbsp. of sugar (omit sweetener if you prefer unsweetened peanut butter)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Place raw peanuts in a baking tray.
- Roast until lightly brown, about 16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cools at well-ventilated area to stop the cooking process (avoid peanuts from losing too much natural oil).
- Process in a food processor or blender until completely smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a container and store the peanut butter in fridge. Peanut butter will stay fresh for few months in the fridge.